Air transport is a fast and reliable tool in the global economy. This kind of transportation generates high values in business and helps the overall development of any economy.
Considering the popularity air transport gained in the last decades, nowadays this sector is reducing its environmental impact to allow a more sustainable connection.
NTU implements a range of projects in civil aviation around the world in the technical, legal and institutional fields. We are working actively in aviation safety and security, airworthiness, ICAO audits, establishment of Civil Aviation Authorities and Directorates, procurement of civil aviation equipment and technical, organisational and managerial training of civil aviation professionals at all levels.
Moreover, NTU offers aviation sector legal and regulatory framework review including air traffic management planning and development studies. We focus on air transport market liberalization and economic regulations.
Establishment of Regulatory Framework and Agency for COMESA Unified Single Upper Airspace (2015-2016)
African Development Bank
The overall objective of the COMESA Airspace Integration Project was to develop a framework for formulation and harmonization of policies and regulations on safety, economic, environmental, regulatory agencies for the unified airspace for COMESA region. The purpose of NTU’s assignment was to support the COMESA States on the Establishment of Regulatory Framework and Agency for COMESA Unified Single Upper Space.
The activities performed by NTU included:
- Support with setting up of the COMESA Eastern and Southern Africa Airspace Agency (ESAAA) which manages the regulatory and economic frameworks of COMESA member states
- Drafting the COMESA ESAAA treaty and regulatory structure, and terms of reference for staffing the agency
- Drafting the Agency’s Strategic Business Plan and budget
- Drafting model air navigation safety regulations
- Elaborating model air navigation economic and performance regulations
- Drafting the Memorandum of Understanding between civil and military authorities, and Terms of Reference for a national Civil Military Interface Committee
NTU supported COMESA in enhancing the air safety, regulatory, economic and performance frameworks as well as the harmonization of air transport policies in the region thus contributing to further regional integration of Eastern and Southern Africa.
Vanuatu Aviation Investment Project (VAIP) - Training Needs Assessment for Civil Aviation Authority of Vanuatu (2017)
The overall objective of the Pacific Aviation Investment Program, which is the VAIP Project is part of, is to strengthen the efficiency and viability of the transport sector in the participating countries in recognition of the key role that transport plays for the economic and social development of each country. The specific objective of project is to provide safe and secure air transport operations and environmentally sustainable and efficient airports operation in the country. The purpose of the NTU’s assignment was to support the Aviation Sector Reform and Training for strengthening the Civil Aviation Authority of Vanuatu (CAAV), the Ministry of Infrastructure and Public Utilities (MIPU) and other line ministries’ technical capacity through targeted technical assistance and institutional capacity and dedicated training actions.
The activities performed by NTU included:
- Undertaking a peer review of the Training Needs Assessment developed by Civil Aviation Authority of Vanuatu and Airports Vanuatu Limited;
- Developing a comprehensive Training Need Assessments for the above agencies with due consideration to the compliance requirements of appropriate providers
- Making recommendations on training required for maintaining the safety and security standards as well as strengthening airport operations and management capacity and maximising efficiency;
- Identifying and prioritising training courses and sources available within the region and beyond.
NTU support is pivotal to support effective development of Vanuatu aviation agencies’ capacity to provide safe and secure air transport operations and efficient airports operation in the country.
Technical assistance for the implementation of the legal and regulatory framework in the aviation sector (2013-2016)
The overall objective of the project was to improve air transport safety and security in Moldova and the region. The specific objective of the project was to support the adoption and implementation of a legal and regulatory framework for the aviation sector in Moldova in accordance with the terms agreed in the EU – Moldova Common Aviation Area (EU-MD CAA) Agreement. The purpose of the technical assistance provided by NTU’s was to support the Civil Aviation Authorities of Moldova in transposing the EU aviation legislation into a harmonised national regulatory framework for the aviation sector as well as strengthening of the administrative and technical capacity of the Moldovan civil aviation authorities in implementation of the newly developed regulations.
The activities carried out by NTU included:
- Comprehensive assessment of the legal and regulatory frameworks and procedures in the civil aviation sector with an aim to identify possible legislative gaps
- Elaboration of an action plan for harmonisation of the legal and regulatory framework and procedures according to EU standards, and provision of support for the implementation of the action plan
- Assistance to the Moldovan civil aviation authorities in drafting of national legal and regulatory documents in accordance with the EU aviation legislation to be transposed according to the EU-MD CAA Agreement;
- Drafting legal documents on environmental aspects to support the development of green economy in aviation sector.
- Providing support during the adoption and enforcement phases of the new legal and regulatory framework;
- Support the establishment and functioning of EU-MD CAA agreement monitoring and implementation structures;
- Carrying out the functional analysis of the existing system and practices and prepare recommendations for the necessary changes;
- Strengthening of the administrative and technical capacity of the Moldovan civil aviation authorities required to implement the agreed legal and regulatory framework, and provision of assistance during the change process, including special training for the Moldovan partners and study visits to the EU Member states.
NTU provided an important contribution to the alignment of Republic of Moldova’s legal and regulatory framework governing civil aviation in Moldova with the EU standards and the strengthening of the Moldovan civil aviation authorities’ capacities to enhance the level of air transport safety and security of the country.
Technical Assistance Support to the Zambian Aviation Sector (2011-2015)
The overall objective of this project was to improve Zambia's compliance capability with the international aviation standards in aviation safety, security and economic oversight. NTU supported the achievement of the specific objective of the project that was to strengthen the institutional capacity of the Civil Aviation Regulator and ensuring a safe and secure aviation environment through good governance, implementation of international civil aviation standards and, where appropriate, harmonisation with EU standards.
NTU carried out the following activities:
- Review and upgrading the legal, institutional and organizational framework of the Zambian aviation agencies
- Improvement of Safety and Security Oversight Capacity of Zambia DCA/ new CAA
- Development of a comprehensive training programme for the main sector stakeholders and implementation of relevant visibility and communication
- Support to strengthening the cooperation with European aviation authorities/agencies and relevant stakeholders.
NTU support was pivotal to strengthening the legal and institutional framework of the aviation sector and enhancing the safety, security and economic oversight capacity of Zambia, resulting into removal of Zambia from the EU safety list by the end of the project.
Technical Support to the Jordan Civil Aviation Regulatory Commission (2010-2011)
The overall objective of the project was to strengthen Jordan’s Civil Aviation Regulatory Commission (CARC) regulatory and oversight capacity in order to enhance the safety and security environment in the aviation sector. The purpose of NTU’s assignment was to provide technical support to CARC in order to improve the legislation and meet a number of requirements in the aviation sector according to EC best practices.
Activities performed by NTU included:
- Updating aviation safety, economic and operational regulations, and harmonization with European Regulations and best practices.
- Capacity building of CARC staff through specific trainings in flight operations, airworthiness and air navigation systems.
- Assist CARC in improving Jordan Aviation Industry Databank.
- Assist CARC in preparing a twinning fiche
NTU’s support contributed to strengthening CARC’s regulatory and oversight capacity to increase effectiveness of the implementation of safety and security standards in the aviation sector in Jordan.
Technical Assistance to the Turkish DGCA for preparation of Aviation Sector Strategy Document (2010)
The overall objective of the project was to support Turkey’s effort to further develop its civil aviation and airport infrastructure and facilitate the pace of legal alignment with EU and its implementation in air transport sector. The purpose of the NTU’s assignment was to support the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) in establishing a strategy for air transport sector development and alignment of the civil aviation legislation and a supportive Action Plan to assist the implementation process.
Activities performed by NTU included:
- Formulation of a strategy and development of the Action Plan for the alignment of the aviation sector legal framework with the EU acquis.
- Assisting the DGCA in identifying and developing project ideas to help the DGCA benefit from the EU financial assistance
- Establishing and prioritising a projects pipeline in the civil aviation sector.
- Assisting the DGCA throughout the programming process to prepare project identification sheets (PIS) for five priority projects and prepare mature Project Fiches accordingly,
- Support with formulation of measurable performance indicators at the level of the identified project in the aviation sector
NTU contributed to the enhancement of the institutional capacity of Air Transport Institutions to attain the alignment of legislation in Turkey according to the EU standards.
Follow up and support to the "Roadmap to Safety" (2008-2009)
The overall objective of the project was to assist the Indonesian authorities in reaching international safety standards in the civil aviation sector. The prupose of the NTU’s assignment was to strengthen the Indonesian Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) capacities and provide support in implementing effectively the Guidelines agreed in the Bandung conference.
Activities performed by NTU included:
- Elaboration of s synthesis report on the conclusions and recommendations of the different audits and evaluation missions done on Indonesia (e.g. ICAO USOAP, FAA, EC evaluation mission), and formulation of a consolidated EU action plan based on the outcomes of the Bandung conference.
- Identifying the ways and means of practical implementation (methodology, priorities, budget, and resources) and conducting a risk analysis of the implementation.
- Compile a donor and technical partner's matrix and support cooperation with the partners, with special attention to the European stakeholders.
- Designing a monitoring system for measuring the progress achieved in terms of implementing the roadmap.
NTU’s supported the Indonesian DGCA’s efforts to increase the compliance levels towards the international aviation safety standards.
Support to the preparation of the project "Transport safety and security in the NIS" (2007-2009)
EC neighbouring countries and Central Asian countries
The overall objective of the project was to improve the transport safety and security in TRACECA countries and strengthen the relations of the countries in Central Asia in the field of civil aviation aiming at integrating neighboring countries into Pan-European aviation structures. NTU supported the achievement of the specific objective of the project that was to strengthen the capacities of the beneficiary countries' air transport administrations and the relevance, quality and sustainability of the aviation projects funded by the EU.
Activities carried out by NTU included:
- Increasing safety awareness of and improvement of transport safety and security regulations and standards;
- Development of regulatory frameworks in line with European safety and security regulations;
- Provided support for the implementation of cooperation agreements with the related European agencies (EASA, Eurocontrol);
- Provided support for the development of independent safety control and certification authorities;
- Developed effective traffic management environments through adoption of regulations, procedures, manuals, checklists and on-the-job training.
NTU support the TRACECA countries’ efforts for improving the transport safety and security environments and facilitated their integration into Pan-European aviation structures.